Sunday, March 9, 2014

Last weeks letter



This week was so different from the rest of the weeks on the mission. I felt an even greater energy for the work, I loved it! Maybe it´s because my companion just came from the MTC so she still has that wonderful energy and spirit for the work. It has been a good week. 

In leadership council this week, President Risso shared a principle that really hit home for me. He talked about righteous desires and ¨doing many good things of our own free will; it got me thinking a LOT! I realized that it is truly so easy to just go through life and do as we are told and if we keep the commandments yes, we will receive blessings. But we would learn so much more if we were to anxiously seek out opportunities to do good. There is no need to await the assignment. I loved the conference talk awhile back about First Observe, then Serve. That is the point of this gospel, to love and serve others and charity is when we do it from the depths of the heart with no thought of recompense. 

So, that really is the pattern we must want to serve, then we ask for opportunities, and when they arrive we serve with all of our heart. I love the example in the beginning of the book of Abraham (Abraham 1:1-4) it says that Abraham, “sought the blessings,” he was, “desiring also to be one who possessed great knowledge.” Throughout the verses it mentions some of the many other righteous desires of Abraham. He wanted the blessings, he wanted wisdom and he wanted to do whatever was necessary in order to receive those things. I love how that is what started the story of Abraham. His righteous desires paved the way of his eternal greatness. We all have amazing potential and divine destinies. But, if we do not desire to receive these blessings in our lives, they will not come. I love the statement in D&C 11:10  it says ¨Behold thou hast a gift, or thou shalt have a gift if thou wilt desire of me in faith.¨  Basically, the Lord has a lot of blessings, gifts, and
Talents stored up for us and if we want to have them we must first WANT them.  Then, as we let that righteous desire grow in us, we ask in faith, believing that we will receive and God will grant unto us that thing which we most truly stand in need of. I know that this is a true principle. God loves us. He knows our hearts and He knows our needs. Seek for the good gifts of God; be anxiously engaged in good causes, Serve with Charity. The more and more I seek out righteous desires the more I recognize the will of God for my life. He has a plan for each one of us.
Cultivate the desire to do HIS will.

Con Amor,
Hermana Kimball