Monday, May 12, 2014

Cinco De Mayo letter

Feliz Cinco de MAYO!!
Just kidding, I am pretty sure that is only a holiday in Mexico.

Anyways, this week I have been thinking a lot about integrity verses hypocrisy. As I read in the Bible, Matthew 23 versus 5-7  I was struck by the words that Christ spoke to the Pharisees. He condemned them for doing all that they do with the sole intention to receive the praise of men, to gain friends, and to look important. That really got me thinking about why I do what I do. I remember Mom always said that leadership is doing what you are supposed to even when no one is watching. That is also the core of integrity. Integrity is when we stick to our beliefs ALWAYS. What an important trait to master! All week now I have been self-analyzing. Why do I do what I do? How can I better keep the promises that I have made? What can I do to be a more genuine person?

This week we had the opportunity to visit with a brother who hasn´t come to church in a few months. As we spoke with him it became apparent that he stopped attending due to the hypocrisy that he felt many people displayed. For me those were some of the most disheartening words I have heard this past year. No one is perfect. We are all striving for perfection (which is a reachable goal). But I pray with my whole heart that in our search for perfection, we don´t allow the imperfections of others to halt our course. We cannot allow others to stop our spiritual progression. Each of us must be honest with ourselves and with God. Then we must show an outpouring of love to all those around us. Rich, poor, sweet, or sour. They are all God´s children. If we show integrity by keeping the commandments of God in public and in private we will be blessed beyond measure and we will help others along in their process towards perfection. 

Con Amor,

Hermana Kimball